Wednesday, 2 September 2009

Small-town values

I live in a small town. I don't mean this in a Hockey Mom and Joe Six-Pack sense, which just puts me in mind of Jon Stewart's comment that he must surely be both, since he's "an alcoholic who picks kids up from school". Home for me, when not at university, is a small and rather unimportant place. So I felt a small flash of pride when I came across this piece in the local paper:

"Felice Tocchini, who works at Fusion brasserie in Stoulton, will launch his new biscuit, which can be dunked for more than a minute, at the opening ceremony of Worcester Feast tomorrow."

My warm glow at rural Worcestershire's innovation faded slightly with two thoughts. Firstly, the article makes no mention of taste, which could mean that the Mayor has to undergo one of those grin-and-bear-it moments familiar to the innocent victims of TV chefs when he tries the first one. Secondly, we already have a biscuit that screams 'Dunk me!' - the mighty Hobnob.

No comments: