Wednesday, 26 May 2010

Siberia trip (hopefully not too boastful)

(click to zoom in)
I can't wait for June 20. It's then that I'll get on a train which will take me out of Europe for the first time in my life. I'll get off the train 83 hours, 3,500 miles and five time zones later in Ulan-Ude, the capital of the Russian region of Buryatia, on the Mongolian border. Here's a rough idea of mine and my friend Sophie's basic but very, very cheap train accommodation:

Ulan-Ude, Wikipedia tells me, is not only Russia's biggest centre of Tibetan Buddhism, but also contains the world's biggest sculpture of Lenin's head and is twinned with Berkeley, California (not sure if there's a link there). There we'll meet up with another friend of mine, Dasha, who will come along with us and hopefully boost our rubbish haggling skills. We'll then go to stay on an island in the middle of Lake Baikal, the deepest lake in the world, which looks like this. Not too bad, I hope you'll agree, and a spectacular end to my time in Russia.

I'll blog it if I get the chance, too.

No comments: