Sunday, 23 May 2010

What I've been up to

I've been quiet recently, and this has, to my surprise, actually caused some people to complain. It's always nice to be needed.

I have a bit more time on my hands now, so I'll rectify this mistake by writing regularly over the coming weeks about my experiences in Russia (and hopefully for even longer than that, since I'm currently trying to get my visa extended). Living in Moscow has shown me I made the right move in choosing to study the language and culture of this amazing country, and I want to grasp as much of it as I can.

Anyway, here's a short summary of what I've been up to.

- Working at Feature Story News. I've been writing and voicing daily radio reports on Russian news for various radio stations. If you're a regular listener to Voice of Nigeria, Vatican Radio, FM4 Austria or Radio New Zealand, you may already have heard cutting-edge reporting in my Worcestershire lilt. If not, my pieces are pretty often on the FSN World News Podcast. I also do research and investigative work for TV features, and write for FSN's reporters' blog, where my latest piece contains a truly awful pun at the end of the second paragraph. Don't look, whatever you do.

- Writing for NewsBase. I'm a regular stringer, mostly covering Germany but starting to write about Russia too. Should you be lucky enough to be a subscriber to the EurOil European Oil and Gas Monitor, my latest market commentary makes German refineries sound incredibly exciting. If you produce petrochemicals, I am rocking your world.

- Planning a huge trip to Siberia. More on this soon.

- Teaching English. I approached this as a way of making a little extra money but I've started to really enjoy it. Mortified last week when my 'advanced' group started to correct my spelling.

- Immersing myself in Russian culture. It's what I'm here for, and it's been going well. My knowledge of the language is slowly improving, although I haven't used it as much as I'd like. I'm trying not to be too stereotypical an expat, although I'll admit a weakness for one pub here that sells finest Suffolk cider.

No comments: